Senior Sonar Engineer
Purpose of Job
Sonar Engineer or Scientist with an understanding of sonar systems and their integration to conduct sonar research and product development.
Reports toTeam Leader
Asdefined by WPA
DorsetInnovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our successful and growing company in Winfrith, Dorset. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK together with its subsidiaries, is a technological leader in many sectors and has an excellent reputation. We have unique and unrivalled domain knowledge in weapon handling, mine-hunting, naval weapons and combat systems.
As an experienced sonar engineer / scientist, this role will play an important part in successfully delivering AEUK’s sonar projects. Projects will cover the full engineering life cycle, from novel research, through to productisation and consideration of through life supportability. The successful applicant will have knowledge of sonar principles together with an ability to address the system aspects in order to progress from component research to a fieldable system that meets customer requirements.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Demonstrated knowledge of sonar principles;
- Experience in the development of sonar subsystem components including one or more of the following areas: sonar sensors, sonar data acquisition, signal and data processing algorithm and software development, sonar data analysis, sonar performance modelling,underwater acoustics and sonar system integration;
- Knowledge of the sonar functional chain and an understanding of how the components listed above contribute to a sonar capability that meets user and system requirements;
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in physics, mathematics, engineering or similar discipline;
- An aptitude for problem solving;
- An ability to work within and/or lead a project team;
- Proven communication & written skills –an ability communicate technical findings and concepts to a range of expert and non-expert stakeholders including team, management and customers.
- Experience in the underwater defenceand security domain;
- Experience of technology maturation and the product lifecycle;
- Has a network of relevant customer, industry and academic contacts
- Applying innovation to propose and deliver technical solutions to design and research challenges
- Making informed technical decisions and recommendations supported by robust scientific and engineering evidence
- Delivering quality technical solutions within timescale and budget constraints.
- Technical lead for sonar product developments and research projects
- Task management, working with project managers to ensure technical outputs are delivered to time, cost and quality.
- Working with System Design Authorities, Product Managers and Project Managers to identify solutions and deliver to programme.
- Identifies opportunities and understands how expertise can be more widely applied
- Strong communication and team work
- Able to multi-task and prioritiseworkload
- Adopts a pragmatic approach to manage conflicts and issues
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
How to apply
Please forward your CV to our Recruitment Partner, Morson International, and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to aeukrecruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance.
ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB